You are invited to join us for a
“Back to School”
Curriculum Conference Event
at PS 186 on
Tuesday, September 16th
4:30 - 7:30 PM!
You will have the opportunity to meet the Administrative Team, Parent Coordinator, Faculty and PTA. Parents may choose to attend their child’s class Curriculum Conference at any of the times listed below. Please feel free to bring a translator with you.
Session 1 – 4:30 – 5:25
Session 2 – 5:30 – 6:25
Session 3 – 6:30 - 7:25
We look forward to seeing you!
Please contact Mrs. Delaney at 347-563-4585
if you have any questions
*******New School Hours******
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 2:20 pm
Breakfast Opens at 7:20 am (All students are welcome!)
Please note that there is no longer Extended Day on Mondays and Tuesdays
More information about the NIA ExpandEd Afterschool
Program coming soon...
We Are Off To A Great Start!
We would like to take this opportunity to say "Welcome Back" to our school family!
We would also like to thank all of our parents for their support and cooperation on the first days of school. We are thrilled to report that our students had a great first week of school. Thanks to all of the parents who made sure their children came back to school equipped with the supplies requested! Our kids are definitely set up for success!
September 4, 2014
Welcome to a new school year! We hope your summer was filled with relaxation and wonderful times with your family.As we begin the new year, please review carefully the following items that will help your children get off to a great start and help us to keep school operations safe and smooth.
Official School Hours
Our official school hours are 8:00 AM to 2:20 PM. Many of our Grade 1-5 students will be in school from 8:00 AM-5:20 PM Monday-Friday thanks to a wonderful Extended Learning Time initiative through the P.S. 186/NIA ExpandED Program.
- Uniform Policy P.S. 186 is a uniform school. All students are expected to wear their uniforms (dark pants/skirt and white/light blue top) everyday. It was delightful to see over 95% of our students dressed in their uniforms on the first day.
- Breakfast All students are invited to eat breakfast at school starting at 7:20 AM. Students should enter through the main lobby doors.
All students should arrive to school at 7:50 AM. Morning line-up will be outdoors in the schoolyard.
*Please note that there is a special schedule in place for Pre-K and Kindergarten students for the first two days of school.
During inclement weather, Grade K – 5 students will enter through the main entrance at 7:50 AM. All Grade 3, 4 and 5 students will report to their assigned seats in the auditorium. All Kindergarten and 2-309, 2-311 and 2-313 classes will report to the 77th Street basement. Grade 1 and 2-304, and 2-305 classes will report to the 76th Street basement. Pre-K students will enter through the 76th Street side door. Staff members and parent volunteers will be available to assist students in finding their line-up locations each morning.
Pre-K AM – 10:30 AM – 76th Street Side Door
§ Pre-K PM – 2:20 PM – 76th Street Gym
§ Kindergarten and Grade 1 will dismiss in the schoolyard from their line-up spots at 2:10 PM
§ Grades 2 and 3 will dismiss in the schoolyard from their line-up spots at 2:20 PM
§ Grade 4 – 2:15 PM – Will dismiss directly onto 76th Street
§ Grade 5 – 2:15 PM – Will dismiss directly onto 77th Street
- Attendance/Punctuality Please be sure that your child(ren) attends school regularly and on time. A parent note is required for all absences. Also, please make sure that your child is picked up from school on time!
- Homework Homework is given daily and must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Meeting with Teachers Please write a note if you need to schedule a meeting with your child’s teacher. Please do not discuss your child’s progress at line-up or dismissal. We invite all parents to join us on September 16th for a Welcome Back “Meet and Greet.” More information will follow.
- Security/Safety All parents and visitors must show photo ID, sign in at the security desk and proceed to the office (Room 205) for a pass before going through the building. Baby carriages and strollers are not allowed in the school building.
- Discipline Your child will be taking home the Discipline Code and non-negotiable rules for our school. Please review them carefully with your child and assist him/her in adhering to these guidelines for appropriate school behavior and success
Please take note that we have a new cover for our school communication folder! Take the time to review your child’s school folder daily for important notices. It contains our school’s guidelines and policies and the school calendar for the year. Please complete the necessary forms (blue cards, behavior contracts, etc.) and return it to school as soon as possible. We are very excited to send home a school planner with all of our Grade 3-5 students compliments of the PTA to help our children become responsible and independent learners.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation and support. Working together, we know your child(ren) will be “Heads above the Rest” and will have a wonderful school year!
Do you want more reading practice?
Why not try Raz-Kids.com?
Log in today for leveled reading and comprehension practice
Ask your child's teacher for their username and password.
You can access your Ticket To Read account from home!
School begins for all students at 8:00 am
Breakfast is served 7:20 am- 7:50 am
Dismissal takes place at 2:20 pm